Monday, December 7, 2015

Prayer Flag



There is so much pain and anguish in the world at this time, I felt I needed to send some prayers of peace out.

I have frequently added inspirational wording into my art and a series of prayer flags seemed a 'right way' for me at this time.



The Tibetan word for prayer flag is Dar Cho
Dar means to increase life, fortune, health and wealth
Cho means all sentient beings. 

Prayer flags are simple devices that, coupled with the natural energy of the wind, quietly harmonize the environment, impartially increasing happiness and good fortune among ALL living beings.

For more on the history of the prayer flag tradition.

I will incorporate symbolism and prayers from the 8 major religions in the world and as there are also 8 main Tibetan  symbols used in their own prayer flags, it seemed only right that I should make 8 flags.




Like the bee gathering honey from the different flowers, the wise person accepts the essence of the different scriptures and sees only the good in all religions.
- Mahatma Gandhi

I believe all religions pursue the same goals, that of cultivating human goodness and bringing happiness to all human beings. Though the means may appear different, the ends are the same.
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama


My colour inspiration for the flags Arch-tech design site (Interesting in that the image is of a Flag iris.)



I finished my first flag this week based on the Parasol and will probably take a while to get to the rest because of the Xmas break and children visiting. But chippity, chip they will get done! I'll pop the first flag up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!