Thursday, May 12, 2016

Painterly textiles and yellow tulips

 
Yellow Tulips

Another Mothers Day done and dusted! I had a wonderful if not slightly sad day last Sunday. It was wonderful because I had all of my siblings, my Father, one of my children and her family plus a niece and her children over to celebrate! 19 people! It was bigger then Ben Hur! But everyone brought something to share and the day was sunny, so perfect and I felt very blessed.

But sad because it was also the first Mothers Day that we have shared without my mother. Mum passed on 1 year ago the day after Mothers Day, so it was sad for my Dad. They had 65 years together and he misses her dreadfully. I can only aspire to having a marriage as full of passion and as long lasting love as theirs.

Mum and Dad
The tulips were a gift from my daughter and they are my contribution to Floral Friday and I feel a painting or textile coming on featuring them!

And of course it is Paint Party Friday! I have been a little preoccupied to paint this week, but have been spending the cold evenings in front of the fire with embroidery instead. I consider these little brooches painting with thread! I hope it counts? :-)


Dragonfly brooch

Little Bird embroidered pin
Well that's my lot for the week. I hope you're all well and having lots of fun, cause I am! :-)

21 comments:

  1. FridayFlowers...

    And I enjoyed this Post. Lovely rememberings to your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Erica for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful embroidery! Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Valerie, it is very meditative!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, happy post. I love your beautiful embroideries.
    Happy PPF ❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should say so!!
    Painting with the needle is a longstanding art form.
    I like your little creations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Joanna. I'm looking at your sunflower thumbnail which has reminded me of my next painting! Watch this space. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely "happy" yellow flowers. It sounds like you had a wonderful showing of love on your Mother's Day but I do understand the sadness in having lost your own mom so recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind thought. Mum had lived a long and fruitful life, so I am fine. Its more sadness for my Dad. (always the ones left behind).

      Delete
  8. those brooches are simply adorable... and I love the colour and intricacy, but the tulips are stunning also... amazing colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracey, thank you for dropping by. The tulips are even better now a few days on as they have opened up more!

      Delete
  9. Hi Julie, thank you for your kind comment on my blog. I wanted you to know I clicked your profile to come back and leave a comment for you and was taken to a page which says your profile is private (and had to search back for you via the links to memes). Just wondering you knew that bloggers won't be taken to your blogging page after you leave comments? BTW, I love Australia. Such a beautiful country but I haven't been to the SW. enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely embroidery. I used to really enjoy embroidery. My grandmother taught me how.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post made me so tearful! Sorry about your mom, every first is so difficult...however it does get better. The tulips are so pretty and I love your embroidery! It is definitely a piece of fine-art in all it's glory! Stunning precious pieces!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry if I made you sad! It wasn't my intention. But thank you for your lovely comment. :-)

      Delete
  12. Oh the embroidery counts for sure. Beautiful artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful tulips, Julie. I always admire the patience of people who do embroidery, it's so intricate and it must take such a long time...
    Many thanks for linking up with the Floral Friday Fotos meme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. The embroidery does take a long time. Each brooch takes up to 3 hours to create. But it is an enjoyable past time at night.

      Delete

I love your comments!