Wednesday, January 13, 2016

My Big News. And other smaller events.

Sesen Textile and Mixed Media Art Studio

Drum roll please.........
I am incorporating a gallery into my studio! Yes! I am so excited!
Having been involved with little co-ops and had scarves and paintings in other peoples exhibitions or galleries for a number of years, there has been this little voice whispering that I could do this in my own space.
So when we were designing our house, I made sure that my studio would be big enough to include a little section for the public to drop in and check out what I make and how I make it!

But of course life gets in the way and the past two years had been taken up with building our new house and making it a home and I had been caught in the rut of producing same ol', same ol' for the on-line stores. Well, it was easy. People like what I created and it helped pay its way. But in the meantime my studio was becoming an embarrassment and I didn't like inviting people in.

So there I was deciding that enough was enough with the mess and disorganization that was my work space. Something had to be done because I had become lost. I felt like I was achieving nothing and going nowhere. ( mid life crisis/ menopausal hissy fit?).

Mixed media cards and canvasses

 
By the end of December a lot of stuff was thrown out and generally made tidy, when a little door in my head opened and said. "Remember Julie? Remember that you wanted  to invite people in? Well now you have the room!"

Hand painted silk scarves


So my little gallery has become a work in process.
And little section it is too! Only 3.3m square (11").
My wonderful hubby (extraordinaire)built a sectional wall for me to hang paintings up and we put together a shelf for bits and bobs.
I have approached a local artists collaborative to be included in their open studio map and approached the council for zoning to be told that  because I only have a little space and will be open by appointment rather than full time no zoning was needed on their part (yeeha!).

Silk and Cotton Nuno Felted Scarves


So now I need to design a sign for the verge and need to create wall art and other yummy things! I'm thinking I'm about 4 weeks away.
So wish me luck on this next stage of my artistic life!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck Julie....it's sounds like a great adventure. I've thought of doing the same thing, but I live way out in the country, and I can't see anyone driving out here just to see my mess. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbi
      Thank you for dropping by. I live out in the country as well, but in a bit of a 'tourist zone' with holiday houses around us. I won't be advertising, but expect the odd passerby to drop in. This venture is more about helping me to keep my space tidy and living a little dream without having to pay major retail space rent. :-)

      Delete
  2. Way to Go Julie! You are an inspiration! Sending you all the positive energy I can. Like you have, I need to re focus and get my ball rolling again. Keep in touch! Mwah LeeLee

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!