Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Layers apon layers

Have always loved the look of encaustic wax on canvas. The idea of secret layers being built up with only snippets from previous layers peeking through. Some of these art works can look almost ethereal.
I have over the years used similar methods of semi - transparent layers using acrylic paint. Placing washes of paint over dried layers then wiping off to leave just a hint of what came before.
When you let go - Julie Smith (mixed media on canvas)
 But then I came across the book below. ( I receive no income from this link)


Encaustic effect using acrylic
And found wonderful ides for building up layers using acrylic mediums to create a wax like effect. Yay! No fumes!

Well, I had a wonderful old time! Lots and lots of layers - about 8 in all then finished with pencil and Posca pens just for a little depth.
Acrylic mixed media on canvas

And then found a little easel. So cute.


Abstract landscape 1
I'm very pleased with how this turned out and the brain is ticking over with more ideas. So many ideas, so few day light hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!